Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Hybrid Moments...

I know, it has been a couple of weeks since my last Blog post, and I am now back at it. I have been spreading myself a little thin lately, but as you know, that is just my style.

I also usually try to utilize this space for educational posts, either to educate the reader, the student, or myself, which the latter is most often the case, as this life is a constant learning experience, lucky for me I work in an academic community and have so many resources to sustain my addiction to learning and experimenting. This time, this blog post is going to get a little personal...

Badge of Honor...

I have just purchased my first hybrid! It is a 2012 Kia Optima that runs off both fuel and battery power, and generates its battery power from the engine and braking, so no need to plug it in. I have only had it for about twelve hours at this point and venture, but I will be more than happy to give you my first impressions...

Note Economy Gauge on left, hopefully a new trend for future vehicles...

So far, I am a little overstimulated. This is my first luxury, well luxury to-me car, so all the voice commands, back up cameras, tinting mirrors, and so-on are a little overwhelming. Also when the car transfers to battery mode, it goes quiet, eerily quiet, and I must admit my heart sinks a little each time and this will take some getting used to.

Sorry for the poor quality photo, but thought a SCC parking lot photo was warranted.

My argument against hybrids has always been they are under powered  Well when I first hit the gas pedal I realized I was very mistaken. This car has more get-up-and-go than any car I have owned to date. Oh, and the bonus feature? The economy gauge is a tree branch that grows leaves the more economical I drive, isn't that fitting?

I promise to pick up my bi-weekly posting next week, until then, see you outside!

3 comments:

1. I used to roll in a 2004 Prius and I loved that little car. It was like driving in the future, with screens indicating the conduits of power and everything. But a possum ate the computer and now I drive a mini-van to haul my three kids around :(

I'm hoping that the next car I buy can be all electric, but we'll see how it goes.

ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, all of that and a great-looking car to boot. Congratulations!

ReplyDelete
  3. Monica Hall-WoodsApril 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I still drive a 2005 prius.....best investment I ever made, as I have not had one problem with it ever! Enjoy!

ReplyDelete