Thursday, June 13, 2013

Campus Salad...

Our lettuce in our campus vegetable garden looked ready, and my stomach was also ready!

Today I went around campus and made my own salad... Everything I picked myself. My favorite thing to eat in a picked salad is Red Clover, as it has all the protein! Many legumes contain proteins that are great after the end of a hard days gardening!

My S.C.C. Nature Salad!

My Campus Salad consists of;

Red Clover [Trifolium pratense] A non-native legume that is naturalized in the United States, rich in protein and I personally find the buds tasty! Picked in the natural field near the Social Science Building.

Dandelion [Taraxacum officinalis]  Another naturalized non-native. Some people dislike the flowers, but I find them sweet and a fun texture. The leaves are good if young, but very stiff and a bit tough to get used to, but once you do you'll wonder why you have never tried them before!  Picked in the natural field near the Social Science Building.

Red Leaf Lettuce from SCC Vegetable Garden, note white sap...

Blush Lettuce [Lactuca sp.] Picked from our vegetable garden, I just harvested it a tad too late. It is a little bitter, but the texture is much like normal salad lettuce and doesn't have that foreign feeling many leaves have.

Plantain [Plantago lanceolata] This is a "weed" many people struggle to rid their yards of, so maybe eating it is the best defense! I found the young leaves of plantain to be quite tasty and will be sure to incorporate them into my life a little more! Taste much like romaine lettuce, thus a good gateway to those nervous about trying something different. Picked in the natural field near the Visual Arts Building.

It is great to get outside and experiment with all of our senses, touch, smell, sight, sound, and taste! I hope everyone's gardens are looking great and successful! See you outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment