Friday, October 25, 2013

Gardening... Life...

Fall is here, and we just experienced our first frost. Many of us are evaluating our growing year and thinking about what worked, what didn't, and what to do next year.

Sunrises on campus, a perk to the job...

Often while discussing gardening I hear people say "I did this and it failed..." or "Why did you do it this way when you are supposed to do it that way..." I love trading gardening advice with other gardeners, but in my experience I have learned one thing about gardening: I know absolutely nothing about gardening!

Establishing new plantings, SSB Paver Circle...

Gardening is an experience, and in a way a constant experiment. What works for one person may not work for another; what works in one area might not work in another; why did it work this year but not the last? If gardening was anything like a set of Ikea instructions, everyone would be doing it, and doing it well.

Beautiful autumn skies over campus...

I always browse the gardening and outdoor book section when I go to a bookstore and even after devoting my entire life to this career field, I am always amazed at how much there is to know, to experiment with, to explore, to experience. I am also amazed at how many gardening "Rules" and "Practices" change. It is an ever-evolving industry. I realize in my entire lifetime I will only know a tiny bit about gardening and an even smaller fraction about the outdoors. I began this path knowing absolute nothing, and even further down the path I still know nothing.

Saying goodbye to the growing season is always bittersweet...

So what is the point of this post? We are all experiencing this "garden" together, trading advice, experimenting, learning, laughing... It was a great experience this year, can't wait to do it again!

See you outside!

1 comment:

1. Just as insightful as Brynne's quote, although this one is about riding the tide and enjoying the ebbs and flows of the current. My garden gave something back and I'm ashamed to say I didn't utilize it all. I will till it under and hope it makes for a richer harvest next year. At least I tried : )

ReplyDelete